San marcos dating
Family tradition has it that Don Pedro Armayan-Espíritu y Macam (d.1904)–or his parents Don Calixto Armayan-Espíritu and Doña María Macam, acquired the image from an aunt, Doña Máxima Santos–in exchange for a considerable parcel of agricultural land in Apalit.Redondo and the people of Apalit.'" It was officially inaugurated with solemn ceremonies held successively during the town fiesta from 28 to 30 June of the same year.The chronicler remarks that when there was no more sand or bricks, Fr.Fray Simón de Alarcia built another church made of concrete and tile in 1854-1860, but it was destroyed by a strong earthquake in 1863.The present neo-classical church was built under Fray Antonio Redondo, who was assigned to Apalit from 1873 to 1886.In 1928, Doña María translated the image of Apung Iru from the Armayan-Espíritu ancestral home in Sitio Alauli in Barangay San Vicente to her house in Barrio Capalangan, where it has remained since.
Don Pedro originally bequeathed the image to his favourite, his youngest daughter Doña Ysidora "Orang" Espíritu y Dungo (later Mrs Jesús Justo González), but she did not want the responsibility of being the image's camarera (custodian).
After seven years of work, the church was finally completed in 1883.
It was "the pride of Pampanga, an indelible tribute to Fr.
She passed it on to her elder, spinster sister Doña Aurea "Ondeng" Espíritu y Dungo.
After Doña Aurea's early death, Don Pedro's eldest daughter Doña María "Maruja" Espíritu y Dungo (later Mrs Macario Arnedo) became the image's camarera.